Name: Ken Liu
Author of: “How Do You Know If a Fish Is Happy?”
Current Geographic Location: Massachusetts, near Boston.
Original Hometown, if different: Lanzhou, China
- “A Brief History of the Trans-Pacific Tunnel” — The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Jan/Feb 2013.
- “Good Hunting” — Strange Horizons, October 2012.
- “The Waves” — Asimov’s Science Fiction, December 2012 (Nebula nominee)
- “The Bookmaking Habits of Select Species” — Lightspeed, Issue 27, August 7, 2012 (Nebula nominee)
- “All the Flavors” — GigaNotoSaurus, February 2012 (Nebula nominee)
Which zodiac sign where you born under? Ophiuchus / Dragon
If a magic fish granted you one wish, what would it be? FTL travel.
What inspired your story? I’ve always wanted to write a story based on the legend that a carp jumping over the Dragon’s Gate will become a dragon. A sci-fi setting seemed perfect.
Did you listen to music while writing it? No. I can’t listen to music and write at the same time.
How many rewrites did you do before submitting? One. A very extensive one.
What is your favorite bit?
“I believe that Freddy is my friend, and that makes all the difference.”
Want to read the rest?